I don't know about you, but getting my kids to recycle sometimes seems like a fruitless endeavor. I talk to them about it, including their future and the future of their children and it slides, skips and zings off into the the never never. Sigh... I do find however that if I “sneakily” show them something fun and engaging, that doesn't speak “Mom”, this works like a charm. Recycle HD is the perfect app for just that.
The app covers three main areas: reduce, recycle and reuse. Each of these has several learning modes. They are as follows:
- 28 educational videos. I found videos by Bill Nye The Science Guy and Reading Rainbow. Perfect for children in grades 3-8.
- Another section has education data, which can be read, or read to you. This page includes additional captioned photos. At the bottom of the page are “Did you know?” facts, that add interesting tidbits of information.
- In addition there is a section with high-definition, captioned photos with interesting data.
- There is even a fun yes/no based matching game for additional fun and learning.
- Once one has gone through these modes, there is a quiz that can be taken to see how much was learned. This also reinforces the information contained in the app. If a question is answered correctly the first time coins are earned.
As you can see, there is a lot of “visual”, and game-like activities, not just written information. As it's said, seeing is believing and a great way to create interest and increase comprehension. That's a lot of great content for $1.99!
Compatible with iPad.